Saturday, December 11, 2004

The Car has to Go

My 1965 Chevelle has to go. I am working on building a new pull behind smoker and I need the money and the shop space. I have had the car for 12 to 13 years. I bought this car because I thought I would be able to put an engine in it and go racing. Of course things do not work out that way. At the age of 18 making about $5.00/hr, I had to buy tools and equipment to work on the car which took away from money spent on the car. I spent thousands of dollars on tools, welder and everything else I needed to work on the car instead of parts for the car. In the mean time I had moved it out of the garage and into a shop. As time goes on, I get married, have kids, buy a house, buy cars and the chevelle gets left behind. I still wanted to go racing as I have always loved racing, I even work in the racing industry, but the expense is just more than I can handle.

So I decided that it was time to sell the car and make room for another smoker. I will be building a pull behind smoker that will handle big volumes of meat and capable of catering, vending or whatever. Anyway, below is a fairly compelete list of things I have done to the car

Frame
  • Fabricated front engine plates for small block Chevy
  • Mid engine plate
  • Engine relocated about 10 inches back
  • Fabricated dropout transmission cross member
  • Floor pan support and seat mount framing
  • Two drive shaft loops installed
  • Frame rails trimmed for tire clearance
  • 30 X 10.5 tires fit nicely and look great
  • 8 X 10 Custom made rally wheels


Body
  • Rear wheel wells opened up for larger tire
  • Body smoothed and ready for final prep
  • Rain drip rails removed from over windows
  • All steel body
  • All material removed from hood and reinforced
  • One piece front end (all steel, welded together)


Chassis
Front End
  • New Bushings, teeth removed for easy maximum front end lifting action
  • New ball joints
  • New tie rods
  • New drag link
  • Moroso trick springs
  • Disk brake spindles and hardware (not installed)
  • 7/16” X 3” wheel studs


Rear End
  • Chevy 12-bolt (factory 65 Chevelle rear end)
  • 4.88 Gears w/ spool and ARP bolts
  • C-clip eliminators
  • Stock axles
  • ½” X 3” screw-in wheel studs
  • New GM yoke and nut
  • GM chrome rear end cover
  • All mounting brackets are solid welded for strength
  • Factory trailing arms are boxed in for strength
  • Aluminum bushings in trailing arms
  • Upper trailing arms are shortened for desirable rear end pitch
  • New trailing arm bolts
  • Moroso rear tick springs (very stiff for planting the rear tires)


Here are a few pics. The body is very straight. It has been smeared with bondo and sanded several times for the smoothing of the body. The blotches of bondo that you see are from the smoothing, and not dent fillers. The car was straight and needed very little work. There was some rust i the rear quarter, but we cut it out and welded some new sheet metal in.

Front angle view


Engine Mounting



Floor Framing


Rear Quarter with 30" Tall Tires Tucked

1 comment:

  1. You brought a tear to my eye. I used to have a '65-365 h.p. 327-m22 trans-12 bolt-my brother in law trashed it while I was in the service. Phattboy

    ReplyDelete